Blarney Castle

DNA Match: Bronze Age Covesea Cave Scotland I3132 (2000 BC)
DNA Match: Celtic Briton Stanton Harcourt Oxfordshire I21272 (250 BC)

Blarney Castle is a medieval stronghold located in Blarney near Cork Ireland. The stone keep was built by the MacCarthy of Muskerry dynasty and dates from 1446. The famous Blarney stone is also found among the battlements. The castle was besieged during the Irish Conferate Wars and seized in 1646 by Parliamentarian forces. However it was returned to Donough MacCarty who became the 1st Earl of Clancarty. The castle was also captured and confiscated by the Williamites in the 1690s who supported King William as the successor to James II. Afterwards the castle was sold and changed hands several times before being bought by the governor of Cork in the 18th century. Today the castle is open to visitors and is surrounded by extensive gardens with rock formations including the Wishing Steps, Druids Circle and Witchs Cave. There is also a poison garden with poisonous plants including wolfsbane, mandrake, ricin, opium and cannabis.